What is MediaTek LinkIt™ ONE Development Platform?
MediaTek LinkIt™ ONE development platform enables you to design and prototype Wearables and Internet of Things (IoT) devices, using hardware and an API that are similar to those offered for Arduino boards.
The platform is based around the world’s smallest commercial System-on-Chip (SOC) for Wearables, MediaTek MT2502 (Aster). This SOC works with MediaTek’s energy efficient Wi-Fi and GNSS companion chipsets also. This means you can easily create devices that connect to other smart devices or directly to cloud applications and services.
To make it easy to prototype Wearables and IoT devices and their applications, the platform delivers:
- The LinkIt ONE Software Development Kit (SDK) for the creation of apps for LinkIt ONE devices. This SDK integrates with the Arduino software to deliver an API and development process that will be instantly familiar.
- The LinkIt ONE Hardware Development Kit (HDK) for prototyping devices. Based on a MediaTek hardware reference design, the HDK delivers the LinkIt ONE development board from Seeed Studio.
Key features of LinkIt ONE development platform:
- Optimized performance and power consumption to offer consumers appealing, functional Wearables and IoT devices
- Based on MediaTek MT2502 (Aster) SOC, offering comprehensive communications and media options, with support for GSM, GPRS, Bluetooth 2.1 and 4.0, SD Cards, and MP3/AAC Audio, as well as Wi-Fi and GNSS (hardware dependent)
- Delivers an API, to access key features of the Aster SOC, that is similar to that for Arduino; enabling existing Arduino apps to be quickly ported and new apps created with ease
- LinkIt ONE developer board from partner Seeed Studio with similar pin-out to the Arduino UNO enabling a wide range of peripheral and circuits to be connected to the board
- LinkIt ONE SDK (for Arduino) offering instant familiarity to Arduino developers and a easy to learn toolset for beginners
LinkIt ONE architecture
Running on top of the MT2502 (Aster) and, where used, its companion GNSS and Wi-Fi chipsets, the LinkIt ONE developer platform is based on an RTOS kernel. On top of this kernel is a set of drivers, middleware and protocol stacks that expose the features of the chipsets to a Framework. A run-time Environment then provides services to the Arduino porting layer that delivers the LinkIt ONE API for Arduino. The API is used to develop Arduino Sketches with the LinkIt ONE SDK (for Arduino).
Hardware core: MT2502 (Aster)
The hardware core for LinkIt ONE development platform is MediaTek MT2502 (Aster). This chipset also works with our Wi-Fi and GNSS chips, offering high performance and low power consumption to Wearables and IoT devices.
Aster’s highly integrated System-on-Chip (SOC) design avoids the need for multiple chips, meaning smaller devices and reduced costs for device creators, as well as eliminating the need for compatibility tests.
With Aster, it’s now easier and cheaper for device manufacturers and the maker community to produce desirable, functional wearable products.
- The smallest commercial System-on-Chip (5.4mm*6.2mm) currently on the market
- CPU core: ARM7 EJ-S 260MHz
- Memory: 4MB RAM, 4MB Flash
- PAN: Dual Bluetooth 2.1 (SPP) and 4.0 (GATT)
- WAN: GSM and GPRS modem
- Power: PMU and charger functions, low power mode with sensor hub function
- Multimedia: Audio (list formats), video (list formats), camera (list formats/resolutions)
- Interfaces: External ports for LCD, camera, I2C, SPI, UART, GPIO, and more